Monday, March 27, 2017

Review: From Ice to Ashes by Rhett C. Bruno

Title: From Ice to Ashes
Author: Rhett C. Bruno
Publication: March 28th 2017 by Hydra

Genre: Sci-fi Thriller
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo
Rating: 4/5


A humble laborer is caught in the tensions between Earth and Titan, the now-colonized moon of Saturn, in a standalone novel set in the universe of Titanborn ("Sci-fi noir at its finest!"--David Simpson, author of the Post-Human series).

Kale Drayton knows his place. As a Ringer born on Titan, he's used to keeping his head down and his mouth shut--no matter how much the Earthers abuse him or his own kind berate him. So when he's caught stealing from a wealthy merchant, he's lucky to be sentenced to low-paying maintenance work on a gas-harvesting ship instead of life in a cell . . . or worse.

But when his mother is quarantined, Kale finds himself backed into a corner. To pay for her medicine, he needs money--the kind of money he'll never make sweeping floors and cleaning ships. So when he receives a mysterious offer asking him to do a simple job in exchange for his mother's treatment, Kale takes a chance once more. All he has to do is upload a program onto his employer's ship and all of his problems will disappear.

What starts as a straightforward smuggling gig soon reveals its shattering repercussions. The people who hired Kale are more dangerous than he suspected--and he's more important to them than he ever could have imagined.


From Ice to Ashes is a standalone set in the same world as Titanborn. I must say I liked Titanborn a bit more than this one because it took me a little while to really get into it but once I did I felt like I couldn't stop reading. 

I don't want to give too much away about the story and its plot but I was really impressed with it. Especially the ending had me turning page after page, not wanting the stop. And then there was that epilogue that made me gasp out loud. I loved it. 

I also feel like I should say that science fiction is one of my top three favorite genres and it's books like this one is what makes me love the genre so much. It was just outstanding, really.

Overall, From Ice to Ashes by Rhett C. Bruno was such a riveting science fiction thriller. The non-stop action combined with the great writing and unique set of characters made this quite the page-turner. 


Read my review of the author's other books:
Titanborn




Rhett is a Sci-fi/Fantasy author currently living in Stamford, Connecticut. He is represented by Dystel & Goderich out of NYC and his published works include books in the Amazon Bestselling CIRCUIT SERIES (Published by Diversion Books) and TITANBORN (Random House Hydra).
Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads


2 comments:

  1. Ahhh, I can hear it in your review how much you love sci-fi. Kale is a hero I would love b/c of his compassion for his mother, and his unknown destiny. I'll have to keep an eye out for this author.

    Lonna @ FLYLēF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Books which take a while to get into can be tricky for some readers, but I am pretty patient and it sounds like the story does improve and eventually sucks you in, so maybe this is one I would be able to enjoy too. Great review x

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! ♥