Monday, November 19, 2012

Review: The Orange Trees of Versailles by Annie Pietri

Title: The Orange Trees of Versailles
Author: Annie Pietri
Publication: April 23rd 2009 by Yearling (first published 2000)
Genre: Historical Fiction
Format: ebook, 138 pages
Cover Rating: 5/5
Overall Rating: 5/5
Purchase: Amazon ~ Barnes & Noble ~ Kobo
When Marion Dutilleul enters the service of the Marquise de Montespan, she never imagines that her ability to recognize scents and to blend them into perfumes will win her the favor of Louis XIV’s mistress. But the marquise quickly has the young girl creating new perfumes for her. Eager to please and hopeful that her olfactory gifts will win her recognition, Marion concocts memorable fragrances. Then, to her horror, credit is bestowed on someone else. Marion feels betrayed.

Now Marion opens her eyes and ears (in addition to her nose!) and realizes that beneath the splendor of palace life is a place teeming with deceit. To survive, she must use her keen sense of smell not to create perfumes, but to thwart those who would do her—and one of France’s beloved monarchs—great harm.




Years ago, like when I was about 11 I think, I read this book but in my own language. Now years later, I bought the english version ebook on Amazon and it was even more amazing than I remembered. Reading this book was like a hello to my childhood. So nice!

The Orange Trees of Versailles is the story about Marion who goes into the service of the Marquise de Montespan. When the marquise learns about Marion's gift to create and recognize amazing scents she lets Marion make perfum for her. Marion is overly glad and delighted because of this but when she learns that the marquise gives credit to others she feels utterly betrayed. On top of that Marion finds out about the marquise's plan to poison the queen. She must use her gift for smells to try and save the queen, but will she be in time?


How I loved this  book! Ah... it was simply wonderful! The writing was lovely and fast paced. The chapter were rather short in my opnion, but I didn't mind that. 
Marion was a great heroine. She was sweet, kind of naive, but very talented with her sense of smell. I'm so glad everything worked out for her in the end. 
The other characters were great also. I loved Lucie and Martin. So cute! The marquise was awful but definitely an interesting character. I loved the history aspect in this book and how some events and characters that really happened and excisted were in it. My favorite aspect of historical fiction.

If you're going to read this book I strongly suggest that you read the information about the history and everything that comes after the story. It's very interesting to read. So don't skip it!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts! ♥